Jul 24, 2013

An epic movie, a bike sandwich, full moon & a pink cushion

I usually don't blog about such isolated incidents of my life as they happen so often but something about how last night's events panned out, compels me to document the day, so i can read back on it someday and have a smile or a chuckle about it. And maybe someone else will find the hilarity in it as much as I do.

A regular day at work, and an impromptu movie plan with let's say R and S later, I found myself at the inorbit mall, to catch a late night show of the highly-acclaimed, and the current movie of the season "Ship Of Theseus". A little about the movie before I proceed to the after-events.
It's a film that branches off into three subfilms focusing on different issues like finding your calling through a handicap, a monk's battle for animal rights at research labs and veganism, and a stock broker's tryst with doing good, that ultimately tie back into one big link that they all had been given an organ implant by the same person.
The movie is unlike anything Bollywood has ever produced. It's classy, arty, almost each frame is a work of photographic brilliance ( I did go "Wow, what a shot" every 5 minutes, almost to the chagrin of R, next to me, annoyed by my review of the movie after it)

The movie ended at around 1, a little later than I expected and there was no way, I was riding an auto back home that late into the night. I ask S to drop me to the office, (since it's close from the mall) as I had to come back there in a few hours anyway, but no, home I must be dropped, the guys decide.

So what do we do? I'm not very proud of it but in retrospect what the heck!
The 3 of us, do a triples on the bike! Oh ya, there we are, three mature adults on a Bajaj Boxer with me sandwiched between the two guys. (The last time I was in such an "arrangement" was a few years back with a couple of Spanish friends on a Bajaj Chetak!) Awkward, funny and not to mention, illegal but bah at 1:30 at night, broke, and with barely any other option, we did it anyway. I could not stop laughing, S couldn't stop wracking his nerves about running into the cops and R couldn't help cringing in pain on every speedbump or pothole that S expertly tried to avoid.
I think I even remember R complaining "Hey guys, I think I'll definitely need a testicle implant after this ride!" in true spirit of the movie we had just watched.

The weather was so brilliant that after that rather, ahem, interesting 15km bike ride, the 3 of us decide to go to my place and chill for a bit. But, almost as per a script, I discover that I don't have my house key on me.
Neither does the security guard who always keeps a spare housekey for me. My phone's out of battery. Flatmate is not home.
The 3 things that never happen when I do have the key on me.
After trying, unsuccessfully, to devise ways to get in or break in, we give up & come down to the parking lot of the society, which if not as brilliant as from my house, still affords a brilliant view of the city. So the 3 of us sat there, lit up one, overlooking the city lights, the pacing clouds, and the full moon! ( Oh yes the full moon has come to symbolize such epic times in my life, that I could do a series of "Things that happened during that full moon night")
In the neighbourhood somewhere, blared out 90s bollywood numbers, including "choli ke peeche kya hai" and at that moment, the cinematic appeal of the whole scenario right there, with us sitting there, high literally & otherwise, looking at the glittering city lights in front of us, and a dried out swimming pool below us, a faint chorus of bollywood item songs trying hard to compete with my phone's music player, probably wasn't lost on any of us.

After an hour or so, it was time to call it a day and homeless for the time being, I decided to crash at R's place which meant a majestic bike threesome again! This time though, I remembered the sparkling fuchsia pink cushion that i'd bought from the mall while waiting for these guys to turn up and offered it to R to keep under him on the bike to protect his, well, which he did and thanked me for it.

I don't think I've been as amused, embarrassed, entertained or impressed, all at once in the same night, before. And to think just 24 hours before that, I was at a cafe near my place post midnight watching "a lot like love" while it poured in buckets outside, stranded almost.

These little moments, in hindsight, I think I live for them.

1 comment:

Ana said...

Sounds like fun! I had a similar experience a few months ago. These moments are awesome memories :P